Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quilled Rakhi



Today Sravana Poornima-(full moon day of month named Sravana) is celebrated as Raksha Bandhan in Northern India. Sisters tie Rakhi (silk or cotton thread) on the right wrist  of the brothers, seeking their protection and love life long . Sisters also pray for happiness and well being of their brothers.

The silk or cotton thread can be as simple as a thread. They can also be made of silver, gold and other precious gems depending on the budget and taste. These days one can see Rakhis of many designs. Many young girls and women make their own Rakhis and it is an art in it self.

Well I was very busy yesterday with Vara Lakshmi Pooja. Then I had to run around on various errands. At the end of the day, when I went shopping for Rakhis, I could not find one that interested me and they were also costly.


So today morning I made this. Well I had to manage with whatever material was available in my work basket. 
These are the materials I used. A piece of cord left over from one of my projects, two circular (not exactly) pieces of card stock, some quilling paper, a piece of satin ribbon and glue. 


First I made some tear drop shaped petals of yellow coloured strips. Then I made one tight coil from two strips of light brown shade to form the inner coil and one strip of dark brown shade on the out side. One green coloured strip was used for leaf.


First I stuck up the two circles. Then I stuck the center brown coil to it, followed by the petals by using glue on the base (card stock), on the sides of coil as well as the petals.


But then I felt that the base was not strong enough. Then I stuck the cord on the other side of card stock in circular shape.


Then I stuck the green satin ribbon (just enough to tie on the wrist). I placed this piece under a heavy book so that everything  properly sticks together.
 This is the Sunflower Quilled Rakhi. I tied it on my brother's wrist.

I could have done better, like decorating it further, but I din't have any time at all. May be I will explore this idea more and post my experiments.


Hope you like it.