Sunday, June 6, 2010

Another Sari with Applique

I had this little confusion between whether to call this an Appliqué or a Patch Work. Appliqué is stitching a piece of fabric on another fabric in desired shapes, where as Patch work is joining together of various pieces of fabric to make a bigger one.  Any way here in India the word Patch Work is being used for Applique by the rural artisans who dothe work. Thats how I used the word Patch Work for one of my Saris which I posted earlier here...


So I stand corrected that it was Applique actually.

Any way today I am sharing one more sari with Applique work. I have bought this. This is a Chanderi type Sari (I dont know the exact name of the material), pink in colour with printed plaisley, which are white in colour. It has a beautiful pallu. But the border at the base and on the top for the entire sari was just plain cream white. So a matching pink printed material (of the same type) was cut into strips and machine stitched as a border at the top and bottom ends of the Sari and also on the pallu. Its not possible to get the same print material so a different print has been used. 

It has a cream coloured blouse with same borders on its hands. I have not got it stitched. I prefer to wear a plain pink one. Here are the pictures...

This is the border at the base-beneath the printed border, but covering the plain border on the base and also at the top. The strip of cloth has been stitched on. It has a geometric print.
 A closer look.
This is the design on the pallu. Here also the edges on the three sides have been stitched with border.

The colour was unique and so was the design. I loved this sari the moment my eyes fell on it. It is elegant yet not flashy, very simple but beautiful.....Hope you liked this.

No comments: