Sunday, January 11, 2009

Learm With me: Anklet Stitch

India is known for its rich textiles, arts n crafts since ancient times. It is a potpourri of cultures, traditions, arts n crafts. There are a number of arts n crafts, which differ from region to region. I want to share my knowledge -what little I have, in this area with you all and also invite you to learn with me different Arts n Crafts with me.

Today I want to share about one of the Embroidery Stitches. This is Muvvala Kuttu or Anklet Stitch as known in my State of Andhra Pradesh. This is like a type of braided Fly stitch with the tie down stitches slanted to face each other forming a “V”. This shape reminds us of the shape of tiny Bells or Muvvalu worn in the silver anklets by the women of Andhra.

As you know a Fly stitch is worked by working of a V-shaped loop which is then tied down by a vertical straight stitch. A Braided Fly stitch is worked by lapping of each stitch over one another to form a pattern of “Y”.

The procedure is explained in the step by step stitches given below:




Fig 1 Start at A and make a loop to B







Fig-2

At C take out the needle from beneath the fabric and make a slant stitch –slanting to right- to D to tie down the loop





Fig 3

Now start the next loop from the center of first loop- at E and make a loop to F




Fig 4

While making the tying stitch for the second loop from G, enter the needle back at D

The next loop should start at B and so on.






I have worked it on Matty cloth to give a clear picture. But this stitch can be worked on any fabric.

This is another example of the Stitch I have worked, using beads and Kundan. The border is worked out with Purple colour thread and I have simply inserted the green thread on three sides underneath the “V”s formed by the tying stitches. In the center I have worked a circular version of the stitch.



These are some of the variations of the Stitch I worked




The first is the straight line. This is very simple.

The second one is the Square 1-where I have worked the stitch in the corners and filled in with detached chain and straight stitches.

Square 2-I have worked the stitch in opposite sides to get the diamond shape, with a bead in the center.

Square 3 is similar to 2 above, but with a detached chain stitches.

Straight line 2- after the working the stitches, a row of detached fly stitches has been worked in orange thread

Round 1-stitches have been worked in circular shape to form a flower

Flower 1- three stitches have been worked to form a petal

I have experimented with the stitch. But need to work out other variations which have come to mind. I will post them soon after I finish them. Why don’t you try it and see if you can come out with some other variations of the stitch. I would like to know your suggestions and comments.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this stitch,thanks for the tutorial.Knowledge does increase when you share it.I'll try this.Your directions are quite easy to follow, all the best

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tutorial on the anklet stitch. It's very pretty. I like your experiments with it and will look forward to see what you do next.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Lakshmi said...

hi shailaja....
nice ...looking forward for ur new experiments on indian embroideries...

Connie said...

I love learning new stitches and hope you continue to pass on things like this!

Ms Sharma said...

Thank you Connie. will do.

kPg said...

This stitch looks great! I have to share this to my best friend, she sells braided anklets. I wore one for 7 straight years without ever taking it off. It only came off last night. =( I wrote about it in my blog, please check it out. Thanks!

Shami Immanuel said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have learned it and have done mirror work with it. It is very decorative.
See my blog post reagarding this here:
http://shamiatcraft.blogspot.in/2012/11/mirror-work-with-anklet-stitch.html

Ayleen Bailee said...

Nice and interesting post,I appreciate your hard work,keep uploading more, Thank you for sharing valuable information chain anklets